- Tuition free week: Start trials with stop motion. Make puppets if necessary. Watch tutorials on other possible techniques to use. Further research on different compositing techniques that can be used.
- Week 5: Continue watching tutorials. Trials with different techniques. Watch tutorials. Start animatic.
- Week 6: Final animatic due. Continue with experimentation. Choose technique to use for final. Additional reasearch on technique. Complete activities in study guide after watching lecture.
- Week 7: Start to work on final video. Additional research if needed. Complete activities in study guide after watching lecture.
- Week 8: Continue working on final video and do research or watch tutorials if needed. Watch lecture and complete activities in study guide.
- Week 9: Complete pre- final video. View and note changes required. Research on how to improve.Complete activities in study guide after watching lecture.
- Week 10: Start with changes on video. Complete activities in study guide after watching lecture.
- Week 11: Continue with refinement of final video. Complete activities in study guide after watching lecture.
- Week 12: Final refinement of video. Complete activities in study guide after watching lecture.
- Week 13: Submission of final video and related works. Last post (summary of unit and work done ) due.
A little girl hides some of her family photos and memories in a very old box, which has magical powers( but the little girl does not know). She goes into a forest near her house to bury the box. So that nobody finds it , she plants a smalls tree in the same spot. The tree grows and so does its roots. One day the roots touch a gem which was on box and the two merge together. Leap in time. The tree is all grown up and so is the little girl(who is now mom a little girl herself). While taking her daughter for a walk, she finds the tree she planted. But to her great surprise, instead of bearing fruits, the tree bears photos that narrates her life.
I tried making the characters with match sticks but it is no interesting.
In the second development, I tried to develop the idea using photos to narrate the story, but then it becomes a bit confusing.
The third development is the one that suit the story-line better, according to me. I’ll continue working with this one.
I chose to work on Idea 3 as I found the story more captivating than the other 2. However, I thought that the story missed something, So I decided to work on the story-line again to make a more interesting story. Here are some more ideas that I came up with using a similar story-line:
1) The world is sick. The cutting down of trees has hugely affected it. The air is no more breathable and oceans are now grey. In a far away land, a little girl finds an old, wrinkled and ugly seed in her grandmother’s boxes. She plants the seed. When a seedling comes out she spends most of her time caring for it. The seedling grows stronger and bigger everyday. With the growth of this tree, hope that the world can get better, starts to build up in everybody’s hearts.
2) When she finds an old ugly seed, a little girl decides to plant.Nobody thinks that it will grow , as it is almost a hundred years old and soils have been barren for years now because of pollution. But the seed starts to germinate and with the care and protection of the little girl ,the plant becomes bigger and stronger. Seeing this miracle, all the inhabitant of the town starts to take care of the tree and it becomes so big that it covers the town , which protects the it from harmful gases in the atmosphere.
3) While sitting with her mom in the kitchen, a little girl finds a seed on the table. Like every little ones, she starts to put the seed in her mouth. Fortunately her mom stop her right in time. They, then go out to plant the seed. However, after a heavy rain which flooded their garden, the little girl and her mom loose all hope of the plant growing. But the plant starts to grow and they start to take care of it. The plant is then shown all grown up with the girl, who is now a teenager, sitting on the branches and eating the tree’s fruit.
4) While eating a strange fruit, a girl throws the seed on the soil, not thinking that it will germinate. But the next day when she wakes up, she finds her house on a huge branch a long distance from the ground. The seed has grown over night in a giant tree and has lift her house up in the process.
5)As part of an old family tradition, every member of a family places a memory of himself/herself , together with a few family photos in a box and buries it in the yard. Afterwards they plant a tiny plant in the same place. Several years later the plant has become a beautiful tree but instead of having fruits,the tree has photos of the family at different moments of their life.
6) A little girl finds an old coin in her mom’s wardrobe. Confused by its appearance, the little girl takes the coin for a seed and plants it. Years later in the spot, a tree has grown. However, instead of having fruits, tree bears gold coins.
I find all the ideas interesting but the fifth one is the one I prefer as it is not very common. I will continue working on the idea by drawing its storyboard and do further development on the storyboard.
Storyboard for idea 1
Storyboard for idea 5
Storyboard for idea 3
From the 3 storyboards I prefer the last one( Idea 3’s storyboard). It’s more captivating than the other 2 . However, it needs some modifications to make it more interesting. I will continue to work on Idea 3 until I’m satisfied with it.
- A clay car comes out of a mobile. It drives around on a working desk, where an employee is sleeping. The car enters the computer screen. It is shown driving away on the highway, while transforming into a real car.
- After experiencing a disturbance a plane crashes on a strange island. There, the passengers meet with the locals, who turn out to out to be cartoon characters. Thinking that the locals want to help them, the passengers follow them to their village. However, when they reach there, the passengers discover that the locals saw them as meal instead as friends.
- The growth a baby girl and a seed will be shown in stop motion. The baby girl plants an ugly looking seed. The seed becomes a seedling then turns into a weak plant that the girl, now bigger, is protecting. Afterward the little plant grows into a beautiful giant tree. The girl also is all grown up. She is pictured hiding under the tree, while it rains.
- During a math class, all the students are agitated as they are not able to solve the complicated equation. Suddenly the scene freezes. Only one student is moving. He sees the numbers on the board moving. Then, he sees the answer appear on the board. The class returns back to normal.
- A fish from a really small aquarium is released in the river. The fish flows with the current and discovers different environment, from huge towns to small villages. The whole scene will be portrait on slate and chalk drawing. Finally a clay fish will jump in a river.
My favorite concepts are numbers 1, 3 and 5. I’ll make storyboards for the three of them, to see which idea will be easier to communicate in 10-30s, before continuing with my development.